The Native Prairies Association of Texas (NPAT) became the owners of the Lawther – Deer Park Prairie Preserve on January 27, 2014 and signed the conservation easement agreement with the Bayou Land Conservancy (BLC) on February 14, protecting this rare prairie for eternity. The preservation of this phenomenal prairie was achieved when BLC raised the purchase price of $4 million dollars in less than a month!
The Houston Chapter is involved in all aspects of the Deer Park Prairie from conservation and maintenance to providing docents for visitors to educating children. Everyone, please join us in this endeavor!
Please consider joining HNPAT or making a DONATION to support Deer Park Prairie.
Our Deer Park Prairie Pages include:
- Information on Visits & Workdays at Deer Park Prairie
- About Deer Park Prairie – a short summary
- Current Deer Park Prairie news & activities (blogs)
- Photos of Deer Park Prairie are also at HNPAT’s Flickr page. Go to the Album section and view albums of Chuck DuPlant, Don Verser, Carolyn Fannon and more.
- Deer Park Prairie Checklists – Flora and bird checklists
- Doug Haass’ DPP Photo Journal – Doug Haass, Deer Park Resident, “shows in photos and in words, what nature lives and thrives on the prairie. It will be from a nature photographer’s perspective, but also as a member of the community that the preserve resides in.”
- All about the 2014 Prairie Celebration including photos
- Calendar of Deer Park Prairie Events (to schedule an event, please contact HNPAT@texasprairie.org )