See HoustonPrairie.org/2017HouCNC for detail about this contest.
Some organized activities for City Nature Challenge 2017: Houston are posted below:
iNaturalist Training (sponsored by Native Plant Society of Texas – Houston, Coastal Prairie Partnership, and Houston Chapter – Native Prairies Association of Texas):
Monday, March 20, 6:30 pm to ~8:30 pm at Trini Mendenhall Community Center, 1414 Wirt Rd, Houston, TX 77055 (Google map). Jenn Drummond, Texas Master Naturalist of Gulf Coast Chapter will be teaching. Click here to register for this class. Seating limited, so if you sign up and cannot come, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org) to release your seat to others. Possibility of classes in Bellaire, if not filled by Gulf Coast Master Naturalist members.
Some of the organized Events between April 14-18. (Email Lan.email@example.com, if you want your event, open to the public, to be posted here)
- Any Texas Master Naturalist interested in leading an City Nature Challenge tour at Sheldon Lake SP between April 14-18, please contact Hannah Buschert Hannah.Buschert@tpwd.texas.gov
- Friday, April 14 at Memorial Park Prairie. More info TBA
- Saturday, April 15 , meet at 10:15 am, leave at 10:30 am. Buffalo Bayou Park, starting at the Water Works, 105 Sabine. Join Texas Master Naturalist Alisa Kline as she gives her regular Buffalo Bayou Park tour where you will be able to observe native plants and wildlife to photograph & post on iNaturalist. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-880-2458. Those of you who just want to do the Nature Challenge, please contact Alisa, she will organize a separate group for that, following the same route, but focusing on the tagging.
- Deer Park Prairie. More info TBA
- Saturday, April 15, 12 pm – 6 pm at Katy Prairie Conservancy’s Indiangrass Preserve/Warren Ranch. Please meet at Indiangrass Preserve (directions: www.katyprairie.org/indiangrass-preserve) Contact: Jaime González, email@example.com to join this team. (29.92815, -95.923)
Tuesday, April 18, 2016, 9 am – 2 pm, leaving early is OK. At several urban prairie sites. Start at Buffalo Bayou Park at 9 am. Contact: Jaime González at firstname.lastname@example.org to join this team. (29.76434, -95.38287)
Or make observations on your own or with a few friends in your yard, or in a park, etc. and post to the project City Nature Challenge 2017: Houston on iNaturalist.