See HoustonPrairie.org/2017HouCNC for detail about this contest.
Some organized activities for City Nature Challenge 2017: Houston are posted below:
- Friday, April 14, 8:30 am at Milby Park, . A small group will be adding observations at Milby Park. We will be meeting outside the Community Center. Please contact Jed Aplaca, email@example.com for more information. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/eBpK4pWZNQ62
- Friday, April 14, 9:30 am at Memorial Park Prairie. This team will meet at the Running Trails Center Parking Lot and will focus on prairie plants, forest and wetland plants, wildlife. Please contact Dr. Cassidy Johnson to join the team (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Google map https://goo.gl/maps/vHjEPshsgM12
- Friday, April 14, 5:00 pm at Deer Park Prairie. 1222 E. Purdue Ln. The focus is mostly on plants. RSVP required by 4 pm on Friday, 4/14. This tour will make ONLY if at least one person RSVP to Lan.email@example.com OR leave message at 713-714-6763 by 4pm on 4/14. Meet at 1222 E. Purdue Ln, Deer Park, 77536. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/GJRcKrQx8x42
- Saturday, April 15, 8:00 am. Houston Arboretum & Nature Center. This team will meet at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center at 8 am for the Arboretum’s monthly Bird Survey. The main focus will be birds. Please contact Kelsey Low for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org. No preregistration is necessary. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/86pzXXwYpe92
- Saturday, April 15, 9 am – noon. Exploration Green – Wetlands Work Day and Count. This is a regular wetlands work day but folks are encouraged to add to the count on that day between 9 am – 12 pm. Contact: Brian Shrock – email@example.com. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/JPMAHQLCEaw
- Saturday, April 15, 9:30 am. Mason Park. A small group will add observations from Mason Park along Brays Bayou. Meet near the pool. If you have any questions, please contact Jed Aplaca, firstname.lastname@example.org . Google map https://goo.gl/maps/obo37so9a6M2
- Saturday, April 15 , meet at 10:15 am, leave at 10:30 am. Buffalo Bayou Park, starting at the Water Works, 105 Sabine. Join Texas Master Naturalist Alisa Kline as she gives her regular Buffalo Bayou Park tour where you will be able to observe native plants and wildlife to photograph & post on iNaturalist. Contact: email@example.com or 713-880-2458. Those of you who just want to do the Nature Challenge, please contact Alisa, she will organize a separate group for that, following the same route, but focusing on the tagging. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/HXsqdcTuTKA2
- Saturday, April 15, 12 pm – 6 pm at Katy Prairie Conservancy’s Indiangrass Preserve/Warren Ranch. Please meet at Indiangrass Preserve. (directions: www.katyprairie.org/indiangrass-preserve) Click on the following link to register for this team: https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg;jsessionid=D8836252EA02AC1A22DCA9166FE09395?oeidk=a07ee07xaq86de8b872&oseq=&c=&ch= (Follow the directions from the Katy Prairie Conservancy website rather than Google map https://goo.gl/maps/XyCnYGYY6sp )
- Saturday, April 15, afternoon at Sheldon Lake State Park, 14140 Garrett Rd. 77044. Meeting place – Pond Center Pavilion via Park Rd. 138. For more info call 281-456-2800. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/5e5edAZfGpo
- 1 pm (Reptilian Rendevous)
- 1:30 (Bird Nerds)
- 2:00 (Insect Respect)
- 2:30 (Floral Festival).
- New! Sunday, April 16, morning or afternoon at Galveston Island State Park: “Morning and afternoon are both options, depending on interest. Please respond ASAP if you’re considering coming. Transportation will be provided unless there are more than three of you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Bob Romero, email@example.com.“
- Sunday, April 16, 5:00 pm at Deer Park Prairie. RSVP required by 4 pm on Sunday, 4/16. Since this is Easter Sunday, tour will make ONLY if at least one person RSVP to Lan.firstname.lastname@example.org OR leave message at 713-714-6763 by 4pm on 4/16. Meet at 1222 E. Purdue Ln, Deer Park, 77536. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/GJRcKrQx8x42
- Monday, April 17, 8:30 am meet in front of Houston Zoo for a 8:30 – 11:00 workday in the Houston Zoo’s native plant gardens maintained by Native Plant Society and Texas Master Naturalists. As we work, we will be taking photos of native plants, etc. (NOT zoo animals!) to post on iNat. RSVP to Lan.email@example.com
- Monday, April 17 11:00 am at Whistle Stop Prairie & 12:45 pm at Bayou Savannah. After zoo workday, some of us will walk the short distance to Hermann Park’s first pocket prairie – Whistle Stop Prairie (across the walk from the entrance to the Japanese Garden) Google map https://goo.gl/maps/vTAHx5a5SWt . Then after Whistle Stop, for those who want, we will drive to the second pocket prairie at Hermann Park – the Bayou Savannah OR meet there at 12:45 pm. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/AeGkC5buQGm RSVP to Lan.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, April 17, 10:00 am at Brazos Bend State Park. Meet at the Nature Center. Trip leader: Andrea Morgenstern email@example.com. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/DynLo4d3eXN2
Monday, April 17, 5:00 pm at Cullinan Park. A group will be out at Cullinan Park starting around 5pm and staying till after dark to make some observations and see what comes out after dark. Please RSVP with firstname.lastname@example.org because the space is limited for this group. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/7KyNxnExHiM2
- Tuesday, April 18, 9 am – 12 pm, At several urban prairie sites. Start at Buffalo Bayou Park at 9 am. Count window will be from 9 am – 12 pm. Team will assemble at the Barbara Fish Daniel Natural Play Area: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barbara+Fish+Daniel+Nature+Play+Areaemail@example.com,-95.3763932,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x642a61d8600b183!8m2!3d29.7625637!4d-95.3763932. Click on the following link to register for this team: https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg;jsessionid=47F033159C51EF5C814242CB71F19CF1?oeidk=a07ee07yse14bc26959&oseq=&c=&ch=
- New! Tuesday, April 18, 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm at Deer Park Prairie. Meet at 1222 E. Purdue Ln, Deer Park, 77536. Google map https://goo.gl/maps/GJRcKrQx8x42 . RSVP to Lan.firstname.lastname@example.org
Or make observations on your own or with a few friends in your yard, or in a park, etc. and post to the project City Nature Challenge 2017: Houston on iNaturalist.