Scroll down for upcoming activities
Sorry for the late enewsletter. I hope all of you were safe and dry during Hurricane Harvey. My home fortunately did not flood.
I hope you all were checking the UP Team calendar (tinyurl.com/UPTeamCal
). Even though an UP Team email was not sent out, the events are on the calendar. Click on the event and then the “more details” to show all details, including meeting place and parking specifics.
All events have at least one contact person. If you are planning to attend an event and RSVP’ed to the contact person, that person will let you know of any changes.
UP (Urban Prairie) Team Photos August- mid-September
(Anyone wanting original sizes of these photos, email Lan.firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Seed Collecting Day at Deer Park Prairie, August 9, 2017. Martha Richeson brought her granddaughter, 12 years old Natalie, who discovered a plant that had not been seen before at DPP. It was not on the Deer Park Prairie plant checklist. Martha took a photo and posted it on iNaturalist. She wrote me, ‘”ID of this plant at DPP with seedpods was Arrowhead Rattlepods Crotalaria sagitallis according to ‘sambiology’ ” Way to go Natalie!
8/9/17 Martha & Granddaughter Natalie Seed Collecting at Deer Park Prairie
8/9/17 Crotalaria sagitallis first time observed at Deer Park Prairie by Natalie. Photo by Martha Richeson.
8/9/17 Seed Collecting at Deer Park Prairie
Seed Collecting Day with Memorial Park Conservancy, August 17. Because Memorial Park Conservancy’s Anthony Todd drove us in a Kubota, we saw the entire length of the NE Quadrant of the Memorial Park prairie along the power line. Away from Memorial Drive were areas with Liatris sp.
UP Team Workday at Deer Park Prairie, September 13. Seven volunteers came to collect seeds at Deer Park Prairie: Tom Solomon, Rowena McDermid of UH Clear Lake and her graduate student Descis, Kelli Ondracek, TJ Marks, and Cassidy of Houston Park & Recreation Dept., and Kelli’s husband Cullen, who works for the City of Pearland. The Liatris pycnostachya were blooming beautifully and we all got to see a just emerged cicada that was hanging on the front door jam of the house.
UP Team Workday at MD Anderson Prairie, September 15. The team: Irmy and her mother Hildy, Frances (Jaime’s landlady from before he was married), Craig, and Wally Ward (Katy Prairie Conservancy’s board member) worked on the area of the pocket prairie by the power station. They trimmed back the woodies, dug out Vesey grass, and plant sprigs of eastern gama grass. Wally worked so hard that he literally lost his sole.
Jaime (sitting) and his former landlady Francis
Craig and Francis
Irmy and her mother Hildy
Wally and Francis cutting woodies
Wally worked so hard, he lost his sole.
Events mid-September, October 2017
Details of all events are on our calendar tinyurl.com/UPTeamCal
. Check the calendar for location, time, contact information, and other details.
- Thursday, September 21 (3rd Thursdays): Seed Collecting with Memorial Park Conservancy)
Saturday, September 23 (4th Saturdays): Deer Park Prairie Workday
Saturday, September 23 (4th Saturdays): Hermann Park, Bayou Savannah Workday (near 6520 Almeda)
Thursday, September 28 (4th Thursdays): Native (and mostly prairie) plant propagation at City of Houston Greenhouse in Memorial Park
Saturday, September 30
: Houston – Native Prairies Association of Texas’ Fall Prairie Day and Bioblitz at Deer Park Prairie (new). Information and registration link at HoustonPrairie.org
. Please register, if you would like to join for lunch. Volunteers are needed to participate in the bioblitz and/or to man stations for visitors. 9:00 to 2:00 pm with bird survey at 7:30 am.
Save these future dates:
- Thursday, October 5 (1st Thursdays): Memorial Park Conservancy Greenhouse Workday (new)
- Wednesday, October 11 (2nd Wednesdays): Deer Park Prairie Workday & Seed Collecting Day
- Thursday, October 12 (2nd Thursdays): Native (and mostly prairie) plant propagation at City of Houston Greenhouse in Memorial Park
- Saturday, October 14: HPARD’s Natural Resources Management Program – Hobart Taylor Park Prairie Planting Event (new), 8100 Kenton St., 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Saturday, October 14 (2nd Saturdays): Hermann Park, Whistlestop Prairie Workday (near Japanese Garden)
- Monday, October 16, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm – Willow Waterhole Demonstration Native Plant Gardens
- Thursday, October 19 (3rd Thursdays): Memorial Park Conservancy Greenhouse Workday
- Saturday, October 21, HPARD’s Natural Resources Management Program – Stuart Park Prairie Planting Event (new), 7270 Bellfort St., 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Thursday, October 26 (4th Thursdays): Native (and mostly prairie) plant propagation at City of Houston Greenhouse at Memorial Park
- Saturday, October 28, HPARD’s Natural Resources Management Program – Clinton Park Prairie Planting Event (new), 200 Mississippi St., 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Saturday, October 28 (4th Saturdays): Deer Park Prairie Workday
- Saturday, October 28 (4th Saturdays): Hermann Park, Bayou Savannah Workday (near 6520 Almeda)
General workday attire/needs: long pants and closed toe shoes. Optional: hat, sunscreen, long-sleeved shirt, insect repellent, water. If you have them bring some garden tools like garden gloves, trowel and/or shovel.