About The Houston Chapter of the Native Prairies Association of Texas (HNPAT):
HNPAT holds monthly meetings, field trips and joint events with the Coastal Prairie Partnership, a Houston-based non-profit organization dedicated to inter-organizational collaboration on all things prairie. HNPAT provides many programs related to prairie plants, their growing conditions, propagation and usage in the home garden as well as information about insects, birds and animals of the prairie.
Our long-term goals are:
- To promote conservation, restoration, and appreciation of our natural heritage – the coastal tallgrass prairie and its extremely biodiverse population of plants, insects, birds and other animals;
- To expand the base of prairie supporters and advocates by education through lectures, field trips, workshops, educational booths, educational brochures, website and use of the Lawther – Deer Park Prairie Preserve;
- To support efforts to develop sources for native prairie seeds and plants for use in both large scale restorations and smaller prairie gardens;
- To aid NPAT in the management of Deer Park Prairie through volunteerism, fundraising and other means;
- To identify remaining high quality prairie remnants in the greater Houston area and develop strategies and collaborations to protect them.
Our officers for 2017 are:
- President – Kelly Shield
- Vice President – Beth Clark
- Secretary/Membership – Silvia Gederberg
- Treasurer – Hazel Potvin