Fall Prairie Day
Saturday, September 29, 2018
9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Members, supporters, friends, and neighbors are invited to visit the
Lawther – Deer Park Prairie Preserve
1222 E. Purdue Lane, Deer Park 77536
(Please do not park directly in front of our neighbors’ houses)
Please join us for our Fall Prairie Day to enjoy the wildflowers and wildlife at Deer Park Prairie. Come and see prairie plants that you can use in your urban garden to attract pollinators. Join us in a seed collecting walk and learn how to collect prairie plant seeds from the wild for your garden. You are encouraged to take some seeds home to grow in your garden.
Update 9/19/2018: The prairie is VERY wet, so depending on the weather during the next week, you may want to bring rubber boots.
Bring also your camera or smart phone to take pictures of the different species of plants and animals that you see to post on the Deer Park Prairie project on iNaturalist.org.
Click here for link to printable flyer in pdf.
- 7:30 a.m. | Bird survey (Prairie only open to those joining the bird survey)
- 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. | Prairie open to visitors
- 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. | Insect net sweeping – by Chuck DuPlant at the Insect Popup Tent
- 9:30 a.m. – ~noon | Join the Native Plant Society of Texas – Houston’s Fall Field Trip led by Katy Emde
- 10:00 a.m. – ~ noon | Plant Survey/Transect led by NPAT’s Pat Merkord. See how NPAT performs its annual plant survey on lands it conserves.
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. | Seed Collecting Techniques / Prairie History walk. Visitors are welcome to take some seed home.
- Noon – 1:00 p.m. | Complimentary lunch – registration required, click here
- 2:00 p.m. | at La Porte Public Library, 600 S Broadway St, La Porte, TX 77571. Talk by HNPAT’s Lan Shen on Prairie Plants for Pollinators in Urban Gardens
Please Register HERE
especially, if you are planning to
enjoy lunch with us.