||October 2016_ seed collecting at Rock Hollow Creek
Hi Seed Collectors,
Announcing three seed collecting opportunities:
1. On Columbus Day (Monday, 10/9), this year, we will be at KPC’s Warren Ranch & Rock Hollow Creek. For those of you who were at the Field Office on Saturday, for the Restoration Roundup, this is an opportunity to see another part of the Katy Prairie Conservancy land.
- Date/time: Monday, 10/9/17, 9:00 am – 11:30 am
- Meet at Matt Cook Memorial Wildlife Viewing Platform parking lot (directly across the street from Warren Ranch).
- After collecting at Warren Ranch, we will drive together down the street to Rock Hollow Creek. Directions: http://www.katyprairie.org/warren-ranch/#MattCook
- Please bring signed liability release (KPC)
2. This year, for Prairies & Pollinator Month, we will be collecting at Deer Park Prairie
on Tuesday, 10/10. Among others, we will be collecting Florida paspalum, Texas coneflower, Lanceleaf blanketflower (Gaillardia aestivales). Some Liatris maybe ripe enough to pick. Note the usual 2nd Wednesday seed collecting day has been cancelled.
- Date/time: Tuesday, 10/10/17, 9:00 am – 11:30 am
- Meet at the prairie house at 1222 E. Purdue Lane, Deer Park 77536. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Xnk39cMU1Wo. Please do not park directly in front of our neighbors’ houses. You may park on the driveway.
- If you have not signed a liability release waiver within the past year, please bring a signed liability release (NPAT)
- In November & December, we will be seed collecting at Deer Park Prairie on second Wednesdays of the month, unless there is a cancellation. Reply to this email for more information.
3. Saturday, October 14 at Nash Prairie – a seed collecting day on a Saturday for those who work. We will be collecting Texas coneflower, rattlesnake master, Florida paspalum among others.
- Date/time: Saturday, 10/14/17, 9:00 am – 11:30 am
- Meet at Nash Prairie. Park on County Rd 255 (Orozimbo Rd.)and walk across the street to the prairie. We will meet at the start of the gravel road – the red marker on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/28AqkxkJ5292
To sign up:
Fill out this google form: https://goo.gl/forms/2Y4sbPi8TIj5VwsC3 or you may leave a message at 713-714-6763. (This number is NOT the event day contact number. When you RSVP, you will get an email with the event day contact number.) Everyone welcome and welcome to collect for any non-profit organization or for your own personal use.
I will have paper bags for the seeds. If you have these, please bring pruners or scissors, a bucket or a recycleable grocery bag that you can hang on your arm and in which you can put the paper bags, and a pen. I will also have a limited amount of these available for your use also.
Please wear closed-toe shoes and long pants. As usual, we recommend water, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, long-sleeve shirt, and maybe a camera.
Volunteers (no experience necessary) work to collect seeds which support numerous conservation programs in southeast Texas. This is your way to have a big impact and see prairies not often open to the public.
Seed collecting is a leisurely way to enjoy the prairie and learn prairie grasses. Walk with a companion in the prairie & run your hand up the appropriate seed head. Seeds that easily fall in your hand are ripe for collection.