Dr. Cassidy Johnson, President of Coastal Prairie Partnership and faculty at Houston Community College, is also head of a project to bring the horned lizard back onto Katy Prairie Conservancy land. (See video of her talk last fall.)
She recently sent an email about an upcoming survey in conjunction with this project. That email is posted below.
I am reaching out to you because you have previously expressed interest in helping out with Texas Horned Lizard surveys at the Katy Prairie Conservancy.
Our first round of survey dates are the following:
Friday June 17th, ~6:30PM to dusk
Sunday June 19th, 8AM to 11AM (or to noon if the heat doesn’t do us in)
I apologize if this is late notice for many of you, but the rain and wet conditions have made scheduling a little complicated so far. I would like to set up another survey attempt in July to give folks more time to schedule. KPC will also be hosting a big bioblitz in October (details TBA – I will keep you posted).
For this first round of surveying, we will be visiting 2-3 sites at the Warren Ranch. We will principally be looking for herps; however, I would also like to document plants, birds,mammals, and even insects if we have experts in these organisms. I am hoping to not only do a thorough study for the presence/absence of horned lizards, but also compile a comprehensive data set of plant and animals species found at the Warren Ranch for KPC. This data will be useful for KPC’s future conservation endeavors as they continue to do battle with Harris County (which even in the wake of all the flooding, is still trying to build roads through the Katy Prairie).
If you are interested in participating, please do the following:
1) Email me if you are coming (I need to send you a waiver to sign)
[send email to HNPAT@TexasPrairie.org
and your email will be forewarded to Cassidy]
2) Let me know what day you are coming
3) Bring your smartphone [if you have one] (we will be using iNaturalist for some of the data collection)
4) Bring water/food/snacks (I will bring some to share)
5) Wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, boots (it may be wet), bring a hat, sunscreen, bug spray, and bring your snakehook (if you have one!)
6) Bring a good sense of humor! This is our first go-round of having multiple folks out, so there is going to be a lot of “errr…. okay, this isn’t working, so let’s try this!”
If you can’t participate this time but want to in the future, please do the following:
1) Let me know if you want to help in July or October
2) Let me know if you want to stay on this list for other updates
Thank you all so much for your patience as I get this initiative organized. Please email or call me if you have any questions or concerns.
Take care and let’s explore the prairie!