- Mitchell County, Maddin Prairie Preserve, near Colorado City, 5/11-5/17 any or all of these days
- Walker County, Blackland Prairies in Sam Houston National Forest 5/16 (link is to blog of last year’s field trip; this is joint field trip with Houston Sierra Club – not a survey)
- Harris County, Deer Park Prairie, 5/23, 7:30 am, bird survey; 9:00 – noon volunteer workday
- Bowie County, Talbot Prairie, near New Boston, Saturday June 6, 8:00 – 12:00 AM, $25 includes lunch
Field Trip for Volunteers To Maddin Prairie Preserve – May 11th – 17th
Field Trip for Volunteers To Maddin Prairie PreserveMitchell County, Texas near Colorado City
Saturday & Sunday May 16 & 17, 2015 and/or Week of 11-15 May
Join the Native Prairies Association Staff to Survey Breeding Birds, Document Plants, Butterflies & Animals, Assist in Mesquite Control Project, Gate/Sign Installation. Prairie Dog and Horned Lizard Monitoring. Urgent Need for Volunteers!
We are interested in forming carpools from Austin, Fort Worth, Dallas and Houston for the weekend or during the week. Campsites are available and motel/lodging can be found in nearby Colorado City. We may be able to provide some camping equipment and food will be provided for those that attend. We received grants that provided funds for mesquite control but we need volunteers to help cut and treat mesquite to meet our match. All our spring surveys must also be conducted. If you are interested in volunteering and would like information to coordinate travel and accommodations please let us know. There is no charge from NPAT but gas money would be collected for any drivers.. Our Staff will be doing mesquite control all week and weekend and really need some volunteers to assist.. We desperately need volunteers so please consider and contact Pat or Phillip for more information. Please pass the on to others that may be interested.
Sam Houston National Forest Field Trip – May 16th
View Wildflowers on Blackland Prairies in Sam Houston National Forest
On Saturday, May 16, 2015, the Houston Sierra Club and the Native Prairies Association of Texas will visit blackland prairies in Sam Houston National Forest (SHNF). We will see wildflowers in bloom on prairies that are unique to SHNF and are indicative of the Fayette Prairie found farther west. The U.S. Forest Service will act as our guide and show us how they manage these prairies using prescribed burning and other management methods.
Bring your day-pack, hat, three quarts of water, snacks, lunch, binoculars, hiking shoes, camera, field guides, and wear long pants a and a short-sleeved shirt. Long pants are recommended due to briars and chiggers. It will be warm so we will dress cool.
We will meet to carpool/caravan at 7:30 a.m. in the parking lot just west of Starbucks (look for Becks Prime) in Meyerland Plaza. Starbucks fronts the 4700 block of Beechnut (south side of Beechnut, near the West Loop South). Look for a silver Honda Civic with lots of bumper stickers.
If you would like to come you can sign-up on the Houston Sierra Club Meet-Up Site or contact Brandt Mannchen at 713-664-5962 or email Branndt Mannchen. For those who want to meet us at the District Ranger Office at 9 am, the directions are as follows:
1) Drive from Houston about 55 miles north on Interstate 45 (I-45), past The Woodlands, Conroe, and Willis, and exit at New Waverly exit (FM 1375/SH 150/FM 1374).
2) Follow the detour signs on the north I-45 feeder road (east side of I-45) to FM 1374, turn left onto FM 1374, cross over I-45, and turn left onto the south I-45 feeder and follow it until you come to FM 1375. Turn right onto FM 1375.
3) Go west about 2 miles on FM 1375 and on your right you will see a sign for the SHNF District Ranger Office, a driveway, and a parking lot. Turn right into the driveway, park in the parking lot, and walk to the front of the District Ranger Office where we will meet.
For Directions from other parts of Texas email Brandt Mannchen or call 713-664-5962 (Brandt Mannchen).
Deer Park Prairie – Bird Survey and/or Workday, May 23
Saturday, May 23
Bird Survey at Deer Park Prairie
Talbot Prairie Field Trip – June 6th
Visit Rare Native Prairie!
Where: Talbot Prairie, Bowie County, near New Boston, TX
When: Saturday June 6, 8:00 – 12:00 AM
Join the Native Prairies Association Staff for its Annual Survey of Talbot Prairie – Help Identify Plants On A Rare 114 Acre Silveus’ Dropseed Prairie!
Field Trip Schedule
• 7:30 – 8:00 AM Meet at McDonalds in New Boston; 702 N McCoy Blvd, New Boston, Texas (CLICK FOR MAP)
• 8:00-12:00 AM Explore & Survey the Prairie
• 12:00-1:00 Lunch in New Boston/or at Prairie Site
Explore and identify native prairie plants
Help us survey this extraordinary prairie
This is a premier remnant prairie
Don’t Miss It!(25$/person $5/child – pay at site, includes lunch)